
This is the face that greeted me all night last night. Note the eyes. They are OPEN, which indicates that he is AWAKE. I should tell you that this is not an actual picture of last night's battle of the wills... the real thing involved a lot more crying. I'm not sure what the deal was - he just wouldn't stay asleep. He'd be out cold in my arms, I'd lay him down, I'd get back into bed, juuuuuust start to drift off to sleep myself, and then it would start. First a little yell, then a little fussing, then a little (hopeful) silence... and then a little more fussing... pause... LOTS OF PRAYING... nope, no luck... crying.
Sigh.
After getting up and putting him back to sleep at least four times over a period of about an hour and a half, I gave Josh a little elbow in the side and said, "Your turn." I try not to give him baby duty when he has to work the next day, but I was so far out of patience it wasn't even funny.
And here we are at today, the boy asleep in his infant carrier backpack thing, and me at the computer. I would totally go lie down if I thought I could get him out of this thing without waking him up... and he's going to be eating again in less than half an hour anyway.
Sigh.
4 comments:
Oh...those early days...you forget them once your baby sleeps 4 hours, 5 hours, and even more at a time. Hang in there, Beth! I am sure you are exhausted and it's hard not to get frustrated at night, when you are so darn sleepy. We are thinking of you!
Love you!
My dear dear friend, I totally know what you are going through, I have been there. Just keep your motto as 'This too, shall pass.' I promise it will, even though it doesn't seem like it. Maybe I can come up in a few weeks and keep him upstairs to take him for a walk or something so you can sleep and shower. Isn't taking a shower a luxury? Please call me if you need anything or just want to talk. I am thinking about you.
Karsten did the same thing. I read in a book that after their feeding at night when they've drifted off to sleep, hold them for another 6-10 minutes so they continue to fall into a deeper sleep in the comfy-ness of your arms. Then, put them down slowly, keeping body contact with them as much as possible and then once they're down, keep your hand on heir tummy or chest for another 30 seconds or so. It takes a little more time, but it's worth it if they stay asleep. It worked with Karsten, hopefully it will with Ben.
Be encouraged!!! You're not alone!
Hi Beth- You may not remember me, I'm an old friend of Scott and Tracey's from the Capax Dei days... Anyway, we have a three month old here (our third kiddo!) and yes, it does get better. Ian is sleeping through the night after many nights of being up, up, up. My best advice is to nurse in the dark. Don't talk, don't make eye contact or change a diaper unless it is poopy. The less you do to arouse the babe, the better. :) And catch a few Z's while he nurses if possible... Good luck. He's beautiful.
Post a Comment