
Just before Ben was born, on one of my many hours of bedrest, I read the book
The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp. It was on loan from Julie (along with dozens and dozens of maternity outfits; thanks Jules!). I really wasn't super interested in it, except that reading ANYTHING helped to pass the time a little more happily/beneficially/less mind-numbingly than watching yet another episode of Jerry Springer or Montel... or whatever crappy version of the People's Court happened to be currently airing. Anyway, I'd recommend it to any new parent. Without going into tons of detail, Dr. Karp outlines 5 little tools for calming your baby. Swaddling is the basis for the other four; its ability to cut down on distraction (and virtually eliminate the startle reflex) makes your baby more receptive to the cuddle you are trying to "apply." Ben
loves to be swaddled. In fact, he won't sleep without being swaddled. I'm so glad I randomly decided to read that book!
2 comments:
Hi Beth! Hope you are all doing well! Ben is soooo adorable. I read this post with a smile. Violet was the same way...she loved to be swaddled. I have 6 swaddlers if you want them. ;) All sizes!
Hey Beth...I've been meaning to log on and say congratulations to you and Josh. The baby looks great and I'm glad to see that he's healthy and growing.
I really like the name Benjamin Tyler too, but tell Josh I was hoping that he'd at least pick Conrad as a middle name!
Post a Comment