My sweet Matthew,
Oh, how I love you. In some ways, it has been a rough road we've traveled this past year. When your brother was born, I hadn't a clue how to care for a sweet baby boy, but when we brought you home I thought things would run a little more smoothly. And for the most part, they have -- but that is thanks to you, not me. Your sweet personality has made room for the antics of your brother, the emotions of your mother, and the quirks your dad has brought to the table as well. From the very first day we brought you home, and I immediately carried you across the street to meet our neighbors at the mailbox, you have been along for the ride! Ben wants to sit on my lap while I nurse you? Sure, come on up, Ben. Dad forgets your feeding/napping routines? No problem. Mom picks you up and puts you down hundreds of times a day to wash a dish, fold a towel, wipe a nose, or direct your brother to time out? C'est la vie! You've been a good sleeper and a tolerant little brother since day one.
And God knows I am so thankful for that.
You know what you want; it's not that you aren't passionate. People tell me you are determined. Your brother was determined; YOU are tenacious. You'll get there if it takes you all day. And you don't mind telling us about it along the way! You have a cry that would shatter light bulbs and a smile that would light the room.
Speaking of that smile, I miss your wide-mouthed gumminess. It seemed half your face would open up as you gifted us with your happiness. When your first tooth cut through, I was so sad... but when its counterpart came in, I decided "two teeth" was pretty sweet, too. Apart from the actual teething itself, your toothy smile has been worth waiting for!
I ache when I realize than an entire year has come and gone in but the blink of an eye, and those baby days are so long gone. You are pulling up to stand on anything and everything, cruising along the edge of anything that will hold you, and climbing stairs like nobody's business. You are both a challenge and a joy.
I love you, little Matty. I love your independence shining through. I love it that you will never, not ever, let Ben push you around, even though he's more than twice your size. I love your sloppy kisses. I love your perfect little toes. I love it when you suck your thumb on one hand and play with your hair with the other. I love to watch you sleep. I love walking in your room to get you up from a nap, only to find out you already woke up and are just sitting up and chilling out! I love your sweet blond hair and your big blue eyes. I hope they twinkle forever like they do today.
Happy Birthday, my son.
Love,
Mom
3 comments:
Happy Birthday Matty!!
Your mom doesn't give herself enough credit but I am so glad you are such a go with the flow little boy, it will serve you well in life.
Awwww..... happy birthday! And he's still a baby. :)
Darn it, should not read these sort of things when hormonal. :) So lovely.
Post a Comment