Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dear Ben,

My big, big boy. You are exactly two and a half years old today, and I can honestly say you behave just like you are two and a half. :) I have to remind myself just how young you are, frequently, because you so often act like such a big boy. Everyone who meets you comments on your vocabulary and your ability to carry on a conversation ...if you are willing to open your mouth at all, that is. You have a shy streak that I cannot condemn because I'm quite sure I gave it to you. Sometimes you are a chatterbox, and sometimes you clam up. But always, you are honest about your feelings (as most children are), and often I wonder what that's like. Oh, to be a child, to know only how to act the way you feel, and to ask for what you want, unashamed. I ache when I think of your innocence, your tender heart, and your sweet little spirit.

You are a wonderful big brother. You adore our little Matty, and spend a good part of your days making faces at him, helping him with his sippy cup, and just generally minding his business. You love to help spoon baby food into his little mouth, you beg to help wash him in the bathtub, and so long as he's not biting you or giving you a wet kiss at the time, one of your favorite things to do is to hold him in my rocking chair. I'm so proud of you.

When I think back over the past year or so, I feel sorry that I have asked so much of you. Your little brother rocked both of our worlds, and we have had to work pretty hard, together, to right this ship. I have been impatient with you, demanded more from you than was probably developmentally appropriate, and at times have found myself much more frustrated with you than is reasonable. I have apologized to your precious blue eyes more than once, and nothing makes me feel more terrible than to see the corners of your little mouth plunge into a deep frown while your chin quivers. I am blessed by your forgiving nature, and the way you wake up from your naps and nights ready to wrap your arms around my neck again, even if my words were sharp just hours earlier. You are a lesson in love.

My sweet, sweet Ben. May the world be full of tenderhearted boys like you, and may you always remember how to be tender. I love, love, love you and the little boy that you are becoming. Even when you tell me you don't love me back. :)

Love,
Mom


2 comments:

pen said...

Loveliness. :)

Amy said...

Aww I love your honesty.