Saturday, December 27, 2008

Kresge Christmas & Ben's Birthday Bash

Every year, we get together with Josh's aunts and uncles and have Christmas together. We call it "Kresge Christmas," and it's always a good time. I should admit right up front that although I made a point to get out the camera, and pack extra batteries, it sat at home on our kitchen island. So these are all stolen photos from Grandma and Aunt Sarah!

Here's Ben opening a gift on Grandpa's lap:
We decided to combine the event with Ben's 1st birthday party, and it was a lot of fun! Here is Ben admiring his birthday balloons...
And the cake. Oh, the cake. I was inspired by the efforts of Josh's cousin Kate for her son's first birthday cake, but when it came time to actually MAKE the thing, I was at a loss. I wanted a Curious George cake. (Ben is pretty inquisitive; it seemed appropriate.) I bought a monkey-shaped cake pan, but the eyes and expression on the face were all wrong. I told Josh I'd frost the cake itself if he would help me 'draw' out Curious George's face. I found a picture on the internet, and Josh took off with it. All I did was mix the frosting colors! Isn't it amazing?
I'd heard that the best you can hope for for a first birthday party is a good messy cake picture. We decided to get Ben a small cake all his own just for smashing. (Price Chopper will give you one free, on your child's first birthday! All you need is his birth certificate.) Ben wasn't quite sure what to do.
I gave him a fork, thinking maybe he'd tear into it a little.... no luck.
So, I chopped a huge chunk off the corner, thinking maybe he'd stab into that. Instead, he picked up the whole piece!
...and proceeded to shovel it in. :)
Who needs a fork?
And here's Ben with one of his birthday presents from Aunt Sarah. I think he looks an awful lot like his dad in this picture!

4 comments:

Amy said...

You think he looks like his dad?? Umm yes!

I can't believe you made that cake it is fantastic Beth! I love it.

I also love the new banner on the blog, so cute.

Glad to see your up and blogging again since the horrible flu

Beth said...

Thanks, Amy! I totally have to give credit where credit is due, though - Josh did that cake start to finish. I basically baked it, successfully got it out of the pan, and gave it its first coat of frosting. He carved the Curious George face and did all the decorating! He actually had to reshape parts of it - like the little tuft of hair, it was actually an ear. I was so amazed.

Josh is going to love me for bragging about his cake-making skills, oh well! :)

Oh, and I can't take credit for the blog banner, either... that is a Scott creation. Man, I stink! ;)

Julie said...

I LOVE the cake! Tell Josh he can start a second job. I am going to do curious george for the boy's bday too and I am doing just the head, I found it on the internet. I need some help with the frosting though, how did you do the light brown? They suggest butterscotch or caramel icing and I can't find that.

I like the pic of him shoveling it in his mouth. :)

natenkate04 said...

love the cake beth!!!