Friday, May 11, 2012

McDonald's Playland = The OK Corral

So we were at the McDonald's Playland tonight. Say what you will about how it's a cesspool of germs, I know. I get it. I tell myself that I'm building up my children's immune systems. Turns out we're developing assertiveness skills, too.....

There are four towers of climbing "shelves," two of which are connected by a swinging bridge. Ben, Matt, a friend of theirs (C), and a brand-new friend of theirs (J) were beginning to cross the bridge when this tough guy kid approached them. He looked about 3 or 4, but hilariously enough, he had a black leather jacket on, and he thought he owned the place. He reached out his hand and made some zapping sound at Ben, and then PUSHED him. Not a push to get by, but a push, like... a push. And then this little boy pushed J. I started to yell out HEY! as any good mother bear would, but it kind of dissolved itself and Ben and his little pack continued on the bridge.

On the way home, Ben and I were talking about the little incident, and I was telling him I was proud of him for not pushing the other boy, and kind of asked him what happened. He said the other little boy tried zapping him, and then Ben said, "That doesn't work on me," and then the boy pushed him. I said, "What did you do then, Ben?" and he said, "I just stared at him in his face with kind of a mean look to tell him that he's not allowed to push me, and he let me by." I find all of this hilarious, because I saw the whole thing, and I didn't notice any particular intimidation tactics playing out... but hey. I was proud that he stood his ground, and especially without pushing back. I always imagine that other kids will walk all over Ben when push comes to shove (heh), and that Matt will be a fighter... but maybe I've got it all wrong, and my big guy has more pluck than I give him credit for.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness I love this cute story about your tough little man.

Julie said...

I LOVE that the kid had a black leather jacket on. Can you even get a black leather jacket for a 3 year old? Totally hilarous!

Beth said...

Haha, yes, apparently you can get a black leather jacket for anyone. :)

Ben told me after all of this that he and C and J ran around hiding from this kid... but they weren't scared. They just didn't like getting pushed. Ha! And also, when I said I was proud of him for not pushing back, he said, "MOM! I would NEVER do that to another kid!" Aww.