Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The boys say...

Sometimes the things that come out of these kids' mouths stop me dead in my tracks. Here are a few I can remember:

*Ben, after his first day of preschool: "When I get bigger, and I'm a preschool teacher, I'm going to tell all the kids to use their RUNNING feet!" (I had heard the teachers reminding the kids to use their 'walking feet,' or else this may not have made so much sense to me...)

*Ben, mid-sob, at bedtime, responding to "Why are you crying, Ben?": "I just hate this getting older thing!" (What? Why? What's wrong with getting older?) "Because someday I will get too big and you won't be able to carry me anymooooooore!" A quick run-down of all that's awesome about getting older (getting a dog, clipping your own fingernails, driving a car) snapped him out of it... but we have had a repeat performance or seven. I've got to stop saying, "Ohhh, you're getting so big! I can hardly hold you!"

*Matt: "Ridiculous!" It sounds like "Weedickawus." He uses it with reckless abandon. Almost everyone finds it cute, but it's starting to wear on me. It's still fun to hear a big word out of a little mouth, though.

*Matt again: "Beautiful!" It sounds like "Bootifuwl." This one, when timed well, melts hearts. And again... big word, little mouth. Hard to resist.

*Matt's latest: "Absolutely not!" or "Abso-ute-wy nah!" I definitely say this one when he starts throwing toys out of the toybox and across the room at breakneck speed, or opens his mouth wide (and with a vengeance) with plans to bite his brother. He's started to replace his usual, forceful, stubborn, "No!" with "Absolutely not." As if there were any doubt how he feels on the subject. Any subject.

*Ben: "I wuv my brudder." Awwww...

*Ben: "I'm so FWUSTWATED!"

I'm sure there are more... I am always telling myself I need to write them down as they happen. As Amy so aptly pointed out in a recent blog post, language acquisition is just so amazing. It's as if overnight your child learns to say a full sentence, upgrading from one- and two-syllabled grunts in a mere 12 hours.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love big words from little mouths!
And "absolutely not" is hilarious... as is you saying clipping your own fingernail is one of the perks of growing old.

Sometimes Grace's new words and sentences catch me so off guard. Like yesterday when she told me "that's a plum" or later used the word "pineapple" neither of which I had any idea she knew.