Friday, October 30, 2009

Lunchtime delights

Ben is in a food rut. Meaning, the list of things he will actually eat has gotten quite short. I find this very frustrating, especially since he used to eat so many different things that he will now not touch with a ten-foot pole. Oh well. He will occasionally respond to a sort of a bribe; i.e., "If you eat a bite of such-and-such, you can have such-and-such." He is also somewhat OCD about how food is presented. He points to where he wants the ketchup, he insists on a BIG spoon (an adult spoon), he wants to bring his toys to the table... It annoys me, what can I say. Regardless, the little munchkin is cute, and when reasonable, I try to allow his little idiosyncrasies. Today he wanted to bring his golf ball and golf club (which is actually a plastic giraffe head on a stick, that we got at the zoo) to the table. I allowed the golf ball, and drew the line at the giraffe... mostly because one is easily scrubbed free of ketchup and the other is not. After repeated shrieks of "Grolf! Crub! Grolf! Crub!," he is now eating bits of chicken nugget breading from his plate, scooping up plain ketchup with his fingers, and has one whole nugget stabbed on his fork... which he is requesting to dip into his juice cup.

Sigh.

4 comments:

SJ Austin said...

Could be worse... like if all he would eat was PLAIN SPAGHETTI.

:-D

pen said...

Such a charming age, isn't it? :) I'm right there with ya...

Beth said...

Don't you love how big brother up there comes off all innocent, like he was eating fish and black beans and leafy lettuce as a kid?

Besides, I didn't love just plain spaghetti. I also loved chicken. Especially the skin. (Sick!)

Julie said...

It's a never ending battle!!
RIght now we are in a cheese omelet phase. That was following a pear phase, following a salad phase, following a cucumber phase.... it goes on...and everything has to be "plain"... gotta love it!!