Thursday, September 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, Matthew.

"How old are you going to be, Matt?"

"I be twooooo," he answers, staring at his fingers as if willing two of them to stand up.

And two he is.


My sweet, darling, lovable little boy, I have so enjoyed the past year with you. It's been fun. I always marvel at all of the development that takes place in the first year of a child's life, but this past year you have shown me... I aint seen nothin' yet. In the past year, you have learned to walk, talk, run, yell, feed yourself, throw food on the floor, shake your head 'no,' and nod your head 'yes.' You've mastered the arts of being sweet and of being impish, and you're pretty savvy about when to play your cards! The other day we were driving in the car, and you kept asking for a book you had dropped (repeatedly). "I wan book, Mommy. I wan book, MOMMAAAAAY." I got so tired of answering that I'd get it when we got home that I finally started saying, "No, Matt," or just "No." I wan book Mommy. No. I wan book Mommy. No. I wan book Mommy. No. And then all of a sudden I realized - you were playing with me. I looked in the rear view mirror and you had the most pleased look on your face. I cracked up and so did you.

One of the things I love most about you is your resilience. You once fell down the stairs when GG was visiting. You cried, of course, but you recovered in about 37 seconds, and GG felt awful about it for days - having seen the whole thing unfold but having been helpless to stop it. The second time you fell down the stairs you had been on your way UP and had lost footing. You stomped your feet at the bottom and yelled, "No, Mommy!" in frustration. And then you cried for about 37 seconds and were over it. Just recently you fell from one platform to another on a playground structure. I scooped you right up as always, and you cried for your requisite 37 seconds........ and then you were over it. It's the same way when Ben steals something from you or when you want something that he has: you burst into tears or explode with fury, but as soon as all of it erupts, it stops. You flip a switch inside, my son, and turn into a sweet little bunny who wants to be held and petted.

You still stuck your thumb and play with my hair. It's one of your many, many redeeming qualities. :) Not that you need redemption from me; you are just about as lovable as a child can be. I enjoy your passion and life. I find you a challenge but also a sweet reward.

I'm sure I'll tell you this story for years to come, but, here goes anyway. When you were still growing in my belly, I used to pray for you. I'd ask God to do something amazing with your life. I had a sense that you'd be a leader. I prayed that God would develop a sense of self in you that would not be easily swayed. I prayed that you would know what you wanted out of life and that you would not be afraid to pursue it. And I prayed that you would love God with your whole heart. Well, my son, I recognized your strong will early in life, but instead of fearing it, I choose to delight in it. I look at you now as if I am looking back from the future, sometimes, with the knowledge/hope/belief that someday, your will and determination and passion will be useful tools for you in becoming a strong man who knows who he is, what he wants, and Who he serves. I think you are just about the most wonderful little boy in the world. You've got some close competition, but ...just about.

I love you, Matty!
Mom

1 comment:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Matty!! What a sweet little boy he is.