I'm sure the topic of death comes up in every child's life long before his mother is ready to discuss it, and I can't say it even caught me off guard because I knew right where we were headed when the conversation started... but still. So odd. I think it was a classic case of just answering the question the child asks, and not elaborating too much - sometimes they aren't actually asking what we fear they are asking. And Ben always finds a way to make me laugh. Here's a piece of tonight's life cycle discussion:
"Where? Like, where is it located?"
"Yeah."
"Well... I don't really know where it is. We don't go there until, (oh boy) until we die."
"You hafta DIE?!"
"Yeah."
"But I'M not going to die."
"Well, someday you will. We all die."
(with horror) "When?"
"Oh, I don't know, later. Not now. When you get older, a lot older. When you're old."
"Oh."
Pause.
"Well ...maybe I'll just rose again."
5 comments:
Aww I love it!
Awesome.
Hahahaha! Both Benjamin and I laughed out loud. So precious!
-M
Funny! They say there is a time where kids sort of obsess with death. I remember Adam doing it but not Van. I even remember me crying one night as a kid and my dad asking me what was wrong and I said, "You're going to die someday!!! And he said the same thing, not for a while. But my funny story is we drove by a graveyard one day and Adam said a matter of factly, "Yup. That's where I'm going to go when I die." Nice....
Too funny! I love the Ben and Beth conversations on your blog . . . it's like the new abbreviated version of that column that you had at Roberts.
Post a Comment