Monday, June 8, 2009

How do YOU say... ?

I've been trying to compile a list of words that Ben says. Many of them are clear to anyone's ears; a few of them would only be understood by someone who spends a lot of time with him. Ben also signs quite a few things, so here is the most comprehensive list I can come up with!

Ben says:
Daddy
cookie
cuckoo (as in, a cuckoo clock)
happy
cracker
tractor
more (mah, with the sign)
help (heh, with the sign)
duck (duh)
dog (daw)
birdie (bree)
fishy (bishy, or more likely, bishybishybishy!)
hot
feet (fee)
go
ball (bah)
bug (bah)
car (coo)
GG
shoes (goos)
hi!
bath
socks (caw, cocks)
rock (caw, cocks)
Boppy (for my nursing pillow - so funny!)

Ben signs:
more
please
help
thank you
drink
eat
sleepy
all finished

Similar to the way that he puts his own spin on certain words, Ben signs things in his own little way, too. Someone who was very familiar with sign language might miss Ben's sign for, say, help, because he's adapted it (quite a bit) into his own sign. It's still pretty cute to see, though, and the whole point is that he is able to communicate. I love it.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I wondered if EVERY boy said tractor. And I think it may be true. I wonder if it will be on Anna's list of firsts. does he say ma ma? I think my kids said tractor before they refered to me! :)

Beth said...

You know, he DOESN'T say ma ma. It makes me crazy. If I tell him, "Say Mama! Say Ma-ma-ma-ma," he will smile this giddy smile and yell "DADA!"